- 100 g basmati rice
- 1 litres milk
- 300 ml single cream
- ground cardamom
- 3-4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rose water
Instructions 1. Wash the rice in water. Place in a bowl, cover with hot water and set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
2. Heat a heavy-based saucepan on the hob. Add the drained rice, milk, cream, cardamom and sugar.
3. Stir and bring to the boil. Taste and sweeten with more sugar if required.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 more minutes.
5. Add the rose water, simmer for a few minutes and serve.
- oil, for greasing
- 175 g butter
- 150 g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- zest of 1 lemons, finely grated
- 4 tbsp cr me fra che
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 150 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 85 g ground almonds
Instructions 1. Preheat the oven to 180 C/gas 4. Grease a 23cm cake tin and line with greaseproof paper. Brush the paper with oil.
2. Cream the butter, sugar and salt in a food processor until light and fluffy.
3. Mix in the lemon zest and cr me fra che.
4. Gradually mix in the eggs and flour, then the ground almonds.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin, levelling the top with a palette knife.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cake is trembling.
7. While the cake is baking, whisk the egg whites for the macaroon mixture. Whisk in the caster sugar, then fold in the ground almonds.
8. Remove the cake from the oven. Spread the macaroon mixture over the top.
9. Bake for a further 20 minutes at the same temperature, until the topping is set.